Monday, March 7, 2016

Daily 5 Minute Journal - March 7, 2016

Rebate from Staples

Have you heard of the rebate scam. This is where you buy a product and are given a rebate in the form of a coupon or action to take to get some money back. But the majority of people forget to submit it. According to Wikipedia the rates can be as low as 2 - 5%.  Also there are 2 times when the consumer could fail to get the rebate. The first is if they forget to submit it and the second is if they forget to cash the check.

On the receipt there was no indication of a rebate, so I called the 800 number and they helped me complete the Staples rebate form online.

Task at the last minute

I hate when I get a task to do at the last minute. My boss tells me at the end of the day he needs a report. So I have to work overtime from home on this. This couldn't wait until tomorrow?

Frustrating day at work

Today was a frustrating day at work for me. I was trying to copy data from my local PC to a MapR cluster and kept getting error messages when trying to read avro formatted files in a directory. At first I was having issues due to a bug in Apache Drill that was solved by updating it to a newer version 1.5. 

I was also getting an error -Xmx512m is not a recognized as an internal or external... This error was caused by my JAVA_HOME=c:\program files\.....  and the space in the directory was causing the problem. I did a Dir /x which shows the 8 character filename and used that which was PROGRA~1. 

Your draw is messy

A co-worker comes over to my desk and says "Your draw is messy." I wasn't in the mood to hear this and didn't care much about what he thought. Keep these things to yourself. So I said to him how come your shirt isn't ironed, it's all wrinkly.  Don't give unsolicited advice to people. 

He also made a comment about whether I was drinking Bulletproof coffee and a previous day he was looking through a bag of mine to see what I bought. 

Books at Barnes and Noble

I wanted to buy some books:

  • 301 Smart Answers to Tough Interview Questions
  • Start your own eLearning or Training Business
  • Big Data for dummies
  • Python for kids
But the line was too long. When I looked them up on Amazon I saw that they were all rated poorly and priced much lower. 


 Was on sale used for $10.00 with shipping vs. $30.
The eLearning book was $14 vs. $20.00 and only had 3 stars. The Interview Question book was $4.00 vs. $15.00 and was rated 4 stars


Find String Code

I have some Excel VBA code that will find strings in text files.  I have 6500 files that I have to search each for 6000 different strings or however many you specify. The output is the file names in column A and in column B - IV contains what matched.

This code takes a very long time and usage of Doevents and Application.Statusbar is needed. Also I have code to update the status bar every 500 items by doing a remainder calc as follows

If j Mod 500 = 0 Then
      doevents
      Application.StatusBar = Application.StatusBar & "."
End If

No comments:

Post a Comment