Tuesday, August 30, 2016

My first hack

In the early 80's I had an Atari 800XL computer which I bought from winnings at Black Jack in Atlantic City.

The computer came with Basic programming language.

One of the methods of copy protection was to put a bad sector on a floppy disk. This prevented the copying of disk because of the bad sector would cause the copy to fail.

I wrote a dissembler in Basic.  I ran the dissembler and found the assembler code that read the bad sector and exited if it didn't exist.  So I changed the code to not read the sector and just continue.

Once I made the change, I was able to copy the disk.

Of what I recall I used Data statements and Read data it would take the data read in and convert the byte into an assembler opcode. Then based on the op-code the address could be determined. The code was based on the 6502 chipset.

No comments:

Post a Comment