Tuesday, August 2, 2016

My mid-year job review

Mid-year Employment Review

A week and few days ago, I had my mid-year employment review. It went okay. My boss rated me as Meets Expectations.

There are 3 possible ratings Below Expectations, Meets Expectations and Exceeds Expectations.  My understanding of the way it works is that 20% of the team gets Below Expectations, 20% gets Exceeds Expectation and the remaining 60% gets Meets Expectations.  The Exceeds Expectation grade means you get bigger raises, higher salary and less likely to get laid off or downsized. Now this system is so ridiculous. It gives incentives to not help others on your team. Every time I help someone on my team it reduces my OOEE. (Odds of Exceeds Expectation).

Part of the review process is to do a self review, meaning you rate yourself and write something about what you did. After you submit this to your boss you meet in person. Near the end of my review iew my boss tells me that another group at my company has an open position, would I be interested in it?  I said sure. Recently, I started running a weekly company meeting on Tuesday's. He said that they would get someone else to run the meetings.

So now I'm wondering why would my boss want me to work somewhere else?

Our department isn't doing that well as we don't have a budget. A couple of senior managers have been moved out of the department.

My boss went on vacation the following week so I could think about it.  I spent a lot of time figuring ways to get an Exceeds Expectations which I'll list later in this post.

When he came back he sent me a job description for the job. I did an analysis for the job and the result came up to not pursue it. I used a spreadsheet and rated a number of items.

I usually say that it always pays to go on interviews to improve your interviewing skills. So I decide to proceed.  Now while I'm proceeding I realize that I should be also looking for a new job to get more leverage and see if there's something better than this one. So at first I'm having a little stress from this process. But now I'm getting excited about doing something new, making more money and having more excitement on the job.

What have your experienced been with employment reviews? Please let me know in the comments below.




No comments:

Post a Comment