Saturday, January 23, 2016

Daily 5 Minute Journal Jan. 23, 2016 #BlizzardOf2016

Blizzard of 2016 and about 6 inches of snow at noon.






Woke up with wt. of 165 and blood sugar of 105.  This brings me to one of my favorite quotes "If you do what you've done you get what you got."

Oldest son has went back to college and I'm happy I didn't have to take him.

January is coming to a close and for the 3rd straight month I didn't reach my goal.
  • Nov. 2015 - Declutter
  • Dec. 2015 - Lower Blood Sugar
  • Jan. 2016 - W < 160
  • Feb. 2016 - Learn more and take action on osteoporosis
  • Mar. 2016 - Finish Wisdom of a Dad
My monthly goal idea hasn't been working.

Why?

Maybe the lack of a plan. It was my goal but not in an all out attempt. 

In terms of deculttering, I did throw out some stuff but not enough. Lowering Blood Sugar, I've started on Metformin but haven't seen a real lowering of blood sugar or measured it clearly. My weight has stabilized and seems to be trending. between 161 and 170.


One thing I've learned is that deadlines help.  If you wait until the last minute and don't have a deadline, you'll never finish.

I've been enjoying work more lately as I've been put in charge of the Tuesday meetings and it takes time to run them.  I spent a lot of time getting the Snapshots software which is a screen recorder to work but it's not working on my laptop.

Things are changing fast at work. I've started working with a new guy in a different dept. who was late for a meeting I set up. He had very long hair, rather young and had a weird bag with him. He also told be he managed $3 mm and was let go because his quota was $6mm. I gave him a presentation and he was yawning through it. He made a comment about the code (Python) didn't have enough "Try" statements. He also complained that (me60) chart on Excel didn't have units or a label.

New Rule: When meeting someone new never complain about their work even if it's bad especially if unsolicited.

I find out through a co-worker that there will be a presentation on Tableau at a weekly meeting that I probably wouldn't have attended. I need an easy way to put something on my calendar at work. I currently use email to send tasks to work when not at work and home tasks when not at home. I wish the email system could automatically add the tasks to my to do lists.

Recently heard 3 podcasts from +Tim Ferriss. One was with  @EricRWeinstein which was very interesting one with @PeterTheil and one with +Daymond John. It's always the same issue though whether it's from a book, podcast or comment; how do you do what someone says when it's good advice. I call this B2A or Book to Action. I have read many self-help books, marketing, sales books but have I done one thing in them. Even the Four Hour Work Week has so much highlighting but little action.

The books you have tells you about your goals. You could use the books to give yourself a good idea of what you want.

Annoyed that on twitter mobile I couldn't add someone to a list.

Atheism

Love the +Sam Harris quote. 

STS

Smart Task Selection. There are 2 questions:

  • What should I do now?
  • What did I do?

The idea is that we humans are prisoners of our habits which are extremely hard to change. If someone or something told you exactly what to do and when, could they increase their success?

Would they follow the instructions?  How would this program or recipe work?

I recently shared my idea of Smart Task Selection with a co-worker and he liked the idea. He thought it should be calendar based where I've always had it task based. I have thought about calendar based and maybe I should try this.

Presentations

I've been working on a presentation with a co-worker and have a few pet peeves that are done
  • Define all acronyms in PPT
  • Clarify terms with whole slides
  • 10/20/30 - Ten slides, twenty minutes, thirty point font - +Guy Kawasaki 

New phone

New phone, Droid Turbo came in. It's my 3rd one. First one headphone jack failed. The second one would reboot all the time, mostly when walking in cold weather. I was able to figure out how to remove the Simm (me10) card, by using my finger nail and pulling it out, then replacing it in my new phone.  

Twitter

Still like twitter as I have a lot of followers and enjoy getting likes and retweets. Would like to find a way to make some friends out of it.


Health

Neck pain is waning, which is from sleeping on a couch and twisting my head. Having pain in left knee when walking up/down stairs.

sin

Dog Training

This week I tried to train my dog to bark and identify objects that we can't find like her collar and the remote. I did the training using a clicker. At some point she got it. When I asked my wife to come watch her do it she couldn't.  She was picking stuff at random and getting a treat. Next time I have to only reward her if she picks out the item the first time and not after trying all the items

No comments:

Post a Comment